Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Meliz875 Pursued by kerigocrazy


Author Name: meliz875

Story(s): Bluebird (Bella/Embry)
              Letting Go (Bella/Jacob)

Since it's all about Twitter these days, describe yourself in 140 characters or less:

Caffeine addicted journalist and music junkie. Wife to my favorite nerd. Love laughing, commas, sushi, wine – not necessarily in that order.

How did you get introduced to fanfiction? What made you decide to start writing it?

I stumbled on fanfiction just before Twilight Eclipse came out in theaters, so it was in June 2010.  It happened through a random Google search, although I don’t remember what I was searching for despite the fact it obviously was Twi-related.

I went back and forth with the idea of writing for a very long time. I was a frantic, engrossed reader/lurker of fanfiction for a very long time and since I’ve always loved writing, the itch to become more involved in this particular part of the fandom only grew worse as time went on. Bluebird is my first multi-chapter fic and I decided to take the plunge and put it out there for two reasons. One, I wanted to contribute something to this fandom. I wanted to make my mark. Two, the pairing is one where there are just not enough stories out there to satisfy the appetite of those of us who enjoy it. I really wanted to help fix that, even if it only was with one story.


Do you remember the first fic you ever read? How about the first non E/B?

Well, my first one WAS a non E/B. I’ve actually never read an E/B fic. I’m sure there are great ones out there, but it’s not a pairing that interests me – both in canon and fanfiction.

Anyway, the first fic I ever read was a one-shot called “Mechanic Magic” by Nesrine. The first multi-chapter was “The Passing Years” by rainypromise. The pairing for both is Bella/Jacob. Once I finished those, I kept looking at the site I found them on (fanfiction.net) – it was all downhill from there. ;)

What are you currently reading?

Fanfiction-wise, I’m reading “Butterflies & Hurricanes” and “Regression” by WhoNatural, “Crave” by Taoist Elf, “Remind Me” by ImaginaryHeart, and “The Life and Times of Charlie Swan” by Dragonfly76. There are so many more on my list I want to read, but it’s so hard to find time to read between writing and a job that eats most of my life for breakfast.

What does a story need to have to keep you reading?

Emotion. Hands down. I also love having the full gamut of them too. I like a story that manages to drag my heart through the mud and can make me cry, laugh, swear at my computer, and celebrate with the characters. I need to be able to feel what the characters are feeling through every step of their journey.

You just won an Emerging Swan Award for Best Newbie Author *adjusts smart looking glasses* how does that make you feel?

HA! It feels amazing! It was such an honor to be nominated let alone win the award. I still find myself in awe that people actually think I’m good at this and I doubt that feeling will ever go away. It’s very humbling, and I know the award would not have been possible without the tremendous support I’ve received from the friends I’ve made in this fandom and my readers who’ve been there since yesterday and since the beginning.

What inspires you to write?

I would have to say music more than anything. I relate to music and the emotions songs invoke in me are unlike anything else, especially since I started writing. I create playlists to accompany my writing with as much thought as I do a chapter outline. It gets out of control sometimes!

What Twilight cliché's do you overuse?

This is really funny considering I recently wrote a guest blog post for another site and polled a bunch of fellow Twi-writers on what they feel are the top 10 biggest Twilight fanfiction clichés. It made me pretty aware of the ones I use (and still use) in my own writing. I think the ones that show up the most are Bella’s lip-bite (although in a non-sexual way most of the time), boys that smirk a lot and Emily’s Magic Muffins.

That's too funny because I'm pretty sure that one of your discussion board posts inspired that question...so thanks! *grins* If you could choose to ask any one of Meyer's characters a single question, what would it be?

Oh, god – this is a good question. I know I’d have PLENTY of questions for Meyer herself, but her characters? I think the most likely one that comes to my mind (and has probably passed through many minds of those who ship Bella with someone other than Edward) would be for Bella. I’d ask her what’s so wrong with being ordinary – with being yourself? I’ve just never been able to grasp and accept the fact that Meyer thought it was “romantic” for a girl to want to change herself so drastically for someone else.

What's next for you?

I’m working on a couple one-shots for some contests going on right now. As far as what comes after Bluebird? I’ll definitely take a breather and try to remember what my husband looks like. After that, though, I suppose I can publically admit I’m toying with a new multi-chapter idea with a Leah/Embry pairing (that boy is like crack to me). And aside from that, WhoNatural and I have also talked about doing some kind of fun collab work, but it’s definitely, DEFINITELY in the early brainstorming stages and not a sure thing.

And finally, we end with the questions first asked by Bernard Pivot and made even more famous by James Lipton.

Please, step inside the Writer's Studio:

What is your favorite word?

Tangible (don’t ask me why – I just like the way it feels in my mouth, haha)

What is your least favorite word?

It’s a tie between moist and quiver.

What turns you on?

Emotionally driven kisses, a sense of humor, and sexy nerds. Definitely sexy nerds.

What turns you off?

In real life: egos and narcissism. In writing/FF: lemon vocabulary that’s used out of the story’s context.

What sound do you love?

Thunder

What sound do you hate?

When people smack their gum.

What is your favorite curse word?

Fuck. It’s so versatile.

What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?

I would love to be a chef! Even though I rarely ever cook, I love doing it and could definitely make a living out of it if I ever got the opportunity.

What profession would you not like to do?

Anything in the science field. Science and I do NOT like each other. I get the deer-in-the-headlights look going on whenever someone starts talking cells and molecules and Punnett squares and stuff like that. No, thank you.

If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?

That hopefully I led a happy life, did what I loved and was good to others. I think that’s all we really need to do in life to get the most out of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment