Sunday, April 1, 2012

April One Shot Staff Picks


Every month, we rec under-appreciated one shots we simply adore. So get comfy, try something new by checking out these short reads, and be sure to leave them some love.


"Jake and Ness Finally Do it" by silveraure
Renesmee & Jacob, Humor, MA/NC-17
Summary: Five years after Breaking Dawn... Emmett and Rosalie give Jacob and Nessie access to their "love shack" for their first night together... will it be as awkward as we all hope? Sit back and enjoy this ridiculous and irreverent glimpse into the future!

Arianna-Janae: This is the first story I have read with Jacob as the leading man. I know, it's not something I'm proud of. After reading "Wild at Heart" by silveraure and falling head over heals in love with it, I decided to give Jake a chance and read "Jake and Ness Finally Do it." First, you have to understand that this is not a serious story and was never intended as one. So, if you're looking for a greater meaning and a higher purpose, you'll need to look somewhere else. This story is full of side-splitting awkwardness, and chock-full of some of the greatest one-liners I've read in a long time. All I have to say is "sparkly vampire spluge." And ... go!


"Willing" by justaskalice
Jasper & Alice, Horror, T
Summary: She was the predator, he the prey. "I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've seen the future, Jasper Whitlock. It ends in one of two ways. I die, or I don't." Jasper/Alice AU

RaindropSoup: I'm a sucker for bittersweet fics, and "Willing" definitely hits the spot. Beautifully written and stunning in every way possible, the story left me frozen and speechless before I finally muttered an "Oh, my God." Twice. The prose and tone are fantastic. The emotion and the scene are compelling, and though Pre-Twilight, the story and the thought behind it is original. To top it all off, the spot-on characterizations and wonderful use of "You've kept me waiting" and "I'm sorry, ma'am" sated my current hunger for a rare fic, bloody heavy in canon. "Willing" is not only a must-read but also a one shot you'll never forget. Check it out and leave justaskalice some much-deserved love. I wouldn't be surprised if you add it to your favorites list, as well.


"The NonImprint" by TwilightMommyof4girls
Sam & Bella, Romance/Drama, M
Summary: Bella and Sam form a relationship after Edward leaves. He doesn't imprint on her. Is their love enough? How does it play out?

Wayward Girl: "The NonImprint" gives you a snapshot into the lives of Sam and Bella. After Sam finds Bella in the forest, the two form a relationship and eventually become engaged. Bella soon finds out she is pregnant and couldn't be happier with her life. Unfortunately, Sam sees Emily and imprints. Heartbroken, Bella flees to Port Angeles to attend college and raise her baby alone. Little does she know that Sam is just as distraught as her. Will he be able to fight the imprint or will Sam have no choice but to abandon his budding family for a magical union?

This one-shot covers a lot of ground in a short amount of time. It's fast-paced and for once I was rooting against an imprint! Poor Bella is so set on sacrificing herself for Sam's happiness, too bad she didn't realize that he didn't want that. It was nice to read a different take on imprinting:
I loved Sam with my whole heart. I wasn't his imprint, that fact would never change. But what I was, was even better. I was chosen.
While an imprint can be permanent, being chosen by the one you love is much more satisfying, at least for Bella. If you're a fan of Sam/Bella fics, definitely check out this one-shot.


Have you read one of fics mentioned above?
Tell us your thoughts in a comment below and give the fandom even more reasons to check out
these one shots!

One shots recs are tweeted various Fridays for six months.

0 comments:

Post a Comment